Two Weeks in Ireland

Two Weeks in Ireland

One rainy day a couple weeks ago in Santorini, out of curiosity I looked up where the cheapest flights out of Greece were and saw a 60 € round trip flight to Dublin.   (I used the “everywhere” search option on Skyscanner, FYI.  If you don’t know about this travel hack, you should!) I couldn’t pass it up…obviously.
It was raining in Greece so I figured why not pop over to the notoriously rainy Ireland and see the famous Cliffs of Moher- you know, since I can’t exactly enjoy the beaches of the Greek islands in the rain.
It was an impulse decision, and one that will go down as one of my favorite choices these past 8 months.  Ireland was calling me and as I traveled around the country for 2 weeks I found a million reasons why.
On day one, I stressed big time about trying to see everything.  I am not a speedy traveler.  I really like to take my time and get to know a place, but this trip was different.  I only had 14 days, at least 14 days too short for an ideal visit.  Anxiously I went over to the receptionist at my hostel with a map in hand trying to make some sort of plan.  (His name was Keith and he looked like he could be in a 2001 boy band.)  Keith laughed and calmed me down and helped me realize just how small the country is, saying “If you wanted to you could see almost everything worth seeing in two weeks.”  I looked at him like he was crazy, and I still think he’s crazy, and not because of his bleached blonde spiked hair.  Two weeks is NOT enough!  If you are planning time in Ireland, give it at least three.
Maybe it’s just me (but I doubt it), this country will completely suck you in.
I felt an extremely deep connection to the land of this country and was enamored with the people immediately- it helps that I love the Irish accent.  I kept having that feeling you get when you just know you were supposed to meet a particular person or be in a particular place at a specific time.  I was meant to go to Ireland.  It felt like home…a new home.  I kept telling everyone “That’s it I’m moving here!” and I meant it.
Ireland honestly brought out the best in me and I wouldn’t hesitate to move there for a while at some point in the future.  I was the healthiest I’d been in well over a month.  *Confession* The previous month in Greece left me a bit gluttonous (but it was worth it).
With so much natural scenery outside I was motivated to get out and explore and exercise.  I ate pretty healthy (soup everyday to stay warm) and only indulged in a few drinks.  I’d say I was pretty damn well behaved during my visit.  I also took time to myself every single day to read, write, or just sit in silence.  It was like hitting the healthy reset button, which I needed more than I realized.
I took in as much as I could but feel like I only got a taste of the big green picture that is Ireland.
I’d always dreamt of seeing the famous Cliffs and the deep green countryside of the Burren.  My dreams didn’t come close to the real deal- and neither do the pictures, but I tried.

I’m often asked where my favorite place is that I’ve traveled and my response is never concrete.  I can not possibly pick one place or one experience over all of the others. It’s impossible.  Instead, I like to the answer down into categories: favorite city (torn between Paris and Prague), favorite islands (Koh Tao and Crete, favorite overall experience (Italy…the entire country).  And now, Ireland has created a new category for me.

Favorite landscape.

IMG_6809.JPG

There’s something to be said for the way the Irish have preserved their land and their heritage, leaving much of the country untouched.  You can travel all over and never see a place with such amazing countrysides.
Where else in the world can you find countless castles, lush green surrounding, national parks, untouched “fairy trees,” and little cottages on the countryside?
Ireland is a very special and unique place.

Oh, and did I mention the beer?  I’m not even much of a “beer person,” and I never really liked Guinness.  Then I went to the Guinness Factory in Dublin for a tour.  I spent hours there and saw every corner of the place then went up to the “Gravity Bar,” which has panoramic views of the entire city, for a pint.

For some reason, we’re drinking crap Guinness back home in the states and they are keeping all the good stuff local.  IMG_6742

Within two weeks I stayed in 5 different towns/cities.  Each one had a totally different vibe but still the same Irish humility.  My favorite town was the unexpected one, Killarney.  I loved the National Park and went there three days in row.  I hiked, jogged and walked for miles.  It was exactly what I needed.

First stop: Dublin
Second: Ennis (Clare County) IMG_6764.JPG

Third: Galway

Fourth: Killarney

Fifth: Cork

I am already making a list of the places I will visit during my next visit. Five was not enough, although each stop was more than fulfilling.

And if it weren’t for the weather, I would move to Ireland tomorrow.

Even though the weather sucked almost the whole time, I still enjoyed every minute.  Ireland may be cold and rainy, but there is plenty of Jameson, Guinness and stew to keep you warm.  🙂

By |2016-04-07T12:19:04+00:00April 7th, 2016|From ___ with love, Solo Female Travel|37 Comments

About the Author:

On August 14th, 2015 I left my life in the United States behind with the intention to never look back. I had the "American Dream" and I woke up from it, to create a new reality for myself. I sought out beauty in a world that was increasingly dark for me at the time and ended up finding more than I bargained for. With only a backpack, I traveled across Europe, South East Asia and then on to Africa. With over 30 countries stamped in my passport, I've become an entirely new version of myself with a broader perspective on what it means to be a woman in today's world. My hope is that by sharing my stories and featuring women like me from around the world, we can inspire others to break down their own internal barriers and go cross a few international borders while they're at it. I truly believe travel can be healing to a troubled soul, empowering to the lost and rejuvenating for the exhausted. Perspective is everything, and I believe in the power of "going global," what about you? SheGoesGlobal.net is a site that started out with my stories and grew into a platform for women all around the world to tell their travel tales of trials and triumph. We all believe that the more you see of the world, the better you can be as a person who inhabits it. Women encouraging other women to grow, travel, evolve- that's what SGG is all about. ---> Read my very first blog post (see "Archives" for August 2015) to learn how this all began.

37 Comments

1. Christine K April 8, 2016 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Photos are inspiring and loved ready about your spontaneous adventure.

2. MariaAbroad April 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Your pictures are stunning and fuel my wanderlust of going to Ireland. I love the lush greens and the grey skies. After living in Texas and dealing with 100 days over a 100 per year, I would gladly take the rain of Ireland any day, haha!

3. krissb71 April 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm - Reply

OMG I want to go so badly!!!! the photos are gorgeous and I am dying to go to Ireland for such a long time. Now I have the perfect itinerary all lined up for me. Thanks!

4. Issa April 8, 2016 at 5:09 pm - Reply

My heart stopped at the first photograph..
    Ireland is stunning.

5. Laura @ Grassroots Nomad April 8, 2016 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Looks like you had an incredible trip! I’ve only spent a short time in Ireland but your photos make me want to go back and explore more!:)

6. Mikki April 8, 2016 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh! Just found your blog! What an awesome trip. I recently researched my ancestry and I am even more Irish than I thought. My husband and I want to go some day and now after reading this.. I want that someday to be even sooner!! Sounds like an awesome trip .. I love spontaneity like that!!

7. Wanderlustingk April 8, 2016 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Beautiful. My only problem is that the photos aren’t bigger–and there’s not more. I want to see more. <3

8. Raulersongirlstravel April 9, 2016 at 5:15 am - Reply

I really enjoyed your post. It makes me want to plan a trip to Ireland soon! Thank you for sharing your photos & story!

9. Lara Dunning April 9, 2016 at 5:23 pm - Reply

I spent 6 weeks backpacking around Ireland. This post has made me want to return and do it all over again.

10. Hannah April 9, 2016 at 5:49 pm - Reply

I’m so glad you loved Ireland! I called Galway home back in 2011 and still consider myself to be an honorary Galway Girl. I’ve been back 3 times since and every time the plane lands in Dublin I get a feeling like I’m home. Something special about Ireland for sure.

11. scmacleod April 9, 2016 at 5:52 pm - Reply

What great pics — looks like I need an extended trip to Ireland!

12. Life, Other Than - - - Shannon April 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm - Reply

Ireland is so great, isn’t it? When I am asked about my favorite place I’ve been, Ireland ranks at the top for hospitality and friendliness. Love your photo from Ennis.
    Thanks for sharing!

13. Aleksandra April 11, 2016 at 5:52 pm - Reply

It sounds fantastic 🙂 Well, Ireland always does. I am surprise how little rain there is in your photos though!

14. Paula Niziolek April 11, 2016 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Ooooh! This post makes me so excited. The Caveman and I are planning a trip to Ireland for the fall of 2017. Your pictures and words make me want to go today!

15. Whitney April 11, 2016 at 6:23 pm - Reply

This solidifies my decision to go to Ireland. Done. 🙂

16. Brenda April 11, 2016 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Thank you beautiful pictures. Heading over in August taking three day walking tour in Northern Ireland. It was neat to read your take thank you.

17. Rachael Sandon April 12, 2016 at 4:49 am - Reply

Great photos! I am excited to visit Ireland someday. I have to say I am particularly jealous that you went to the Guiness factory…I like the Guiness we have int he US and I have heard from others the factory has the best!

18. eulandas April 12, 2016 at 8:44 am - Reply

Beautiful images! We’re headed to Ireland this summer. I can’t believed I’ve lived in the UK for nearly 5 years, and haven’t explored it yet! Wonderful suggestions of sites to see!

19. Elaina April 15, 2016 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Lovely post! Your photos are just stunning. What part of cork did you go to? I’m from there myself, but i agree with you on Killarney it’s such a beautiful town! thanks for sharing ☺

20. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren April 15, 2016 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Really enjoyed reading this! I came over from Girls vs. Globe FB group 🙂 This post has made me even MORE excited to visit Ireland later this year!
    Thanks for sharing and happy travels 🙂

21. marie April 15, 2016 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Your photos are beautiful! I find it really funny that it was raining in Santorini – just can’t imagine bad weather on the island. What are you doing in Greece?

22. Natalia Grygiel April 16, 2016 at 12:35 am - Reply

Beautiful pictures and lovely article! We loved our trip to Ireland and now we have more places to visit during our second trip. Thank you!

23. Jamporter (@portjamblog) April 16, 2016 at 3:15 am - Reply

I love finding that deep connection when travelling! I’ve always been intrigued by Ireland and I can see why it’s such an awesome place.. and I so want to go!

24. Els Mahieu April 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Haha, loved the fact that you went to Ireland because it was raining in Greece as well, so you might as well go to another wet country 🙂 And you’re right, Ireland sucks you in, no doubt about that!

25. thewordhermit April 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Awesome post. I love how your personality shines through your writing. I haven’t been to Ireland, but am remedying that very soon. That luscious landscape is pulling me as well!

26. Tom April 16, 2016 at 9:43 pm - Reply

I have the same feelings towards Ireland, it definitely feels like home to me and I love the culture. Think it helps that a few of my best friend and ex-girlfriend were Irish!
    You should check out Northern Ireland at some point! Belfast is a great city and Enniskillen is another with some interesting places to visit!

27. JJ Berman (@theurbanenomad) April 17, 2016 at 6:29 pm - Reply

I’ve been toying with the idea of heading to Ireland and this posts has pushed it closed to the top. I also love your anecdotes, definitely reminds me of things that go through my head while I travel and meet new people. Also, I never knew Skyscanner had that function as I always used Kayak’s Explore, thanks for the tip!

28. saifulislamkhanopu April 18, 2016 at 8:30 am - Reply

Such an awesome trip it’s just WOW! I specially like your photography and I must say you’re a good photographer! And Ireland is a naturally blessed in its resources that can fill one’s eyes really. Thanks for sharing this post. Have you ever been in South Asia?http://bit.ly/1SjxSTj

29. Cape Town FTW | She Goes Global August 10, 2016 at 12:47 pm - Reply

[…] I have so much more left I want to do before I head home this Fall, but Cape Town has me wanting to stay here permanently.  I’m so glad I followed my gut and spontaneously booked my flight out here.  Best decision since I impulsively went to Ireland for two weeks in April.   […]

30. Becca November 13, 2016 at 12:34 am - Reply

I spent 9 months teaching dance in Ireland last year and I actually worked in one of the sister hostels to the one you stayed in. I know Keith! We became great mates in my time there and he actually is the one who turned me towards your blog! Love what you’re doing. Live your life girl!

31. lisakf January 22, 2017 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Aw I love Ireland. I am currently trying to find a job to move there, because like you said, even though the weather is shitty most of the time, this country just draws you in. If you are interested check out my blog http://www.anywheresperfect.wordpress.com>Anywhere‘s Perfect< for a few tips for the small places around Dublin 🙂

32. […] to another quicker than I probably should have.  I remember leaving early from Greece to go to Ireland after I found a flight deal I couldn’t pass up, later from Malaysia to Thailand and one time […]

33. […] I still feel the luck of the Irish clinging to me over a year after my first visit.  I spent two weeks touring Ireland and my only regret is not planning two more.  I could easily live in this country and settle […]

34. […] of prayer and love, Ireland is full of incredibly friendly people.  In fact, it is probably the most friendly country I’ve been to yet and it’s been calling me back ever […]

35. […] I came back from Greece and Ireland last month, Thailand felt different to me.  I felt like I was suffocating in Bangkok (a city I […]

36. […] been all throughout Europe, and even got as close as Ireland in 2016 but kept deciding to wait to come to England.  I’ve always felt that it wasn’t the […]

37. […] see and experience.  I figured it would be almost as special as, perhaps even better than, the two weeks I spent in Ireland in 2016 (which would be tough to […]